Ranking number one on Google’s search engine results page (SERPs) is something that all businesses should be striving for. It provides incredible visibility and proven click-through rate. According to a 2014 study from Advanced Web rankings, 95% of web traffic is being captured by websites on the first page of Google’s SERPs and 67% of this is going to the top 5 results on the page.
These statistics alone are huge and promise a high amount of click through. But, getting your website to the top of Google isn’t necessarily easy. So, how do you get to the top of Google and what do you need to do to stay there?
1. Building a keyword strategy
Ensure that you have fully researched what keywords you would like to target, so that you are capturing the right traffic and therefore customers. For example, if you want to sell red shoes, you would target keywords that relate closely to that topic. You would optimise your webpage about red shoes with keywords such as ‘buy red shoes’ and ‘red shoes for sale’.
You wouldn’t target keywords such as ‘black knee-high boots’ or ‘red children’s wellington boots’, even if your shop sells those items. This is because they are not relevant to the page at hand or what the customer is looking for. Being as specific as possible with your keywords ensures that your customer is finding what they’re looking for. Take time building your keyword strategy and make sure you are targeting the correct audience. This will come back to help you in the future.
2. Undertake technical SEO
Maintaining a healthy website, and not giving Google any reason to penalise you, is extremely important in reaching page one of Google’s SERPs. In doing this you will also help maintain your site’s Domain Authority.
There is an array of things you can do to keep Google happy. If you’d like to find out more about how you can please Google, speak to a reputable digital marketing agency that specialises in SEO. Or, if you’d rather do your own research, you could always Google it!
In the meantime, here are a few key tips on undertaking technical SEO and how to uphold a healthy website, that we believe are particularly important:
- Avoiding duplicate content
- Not overusing H-tags
- Repairing any existing 404 errors
- Avoid keyword stuffing your content
- Make sure you install a sitemap (this helps Google’s crawl bots to navigate your site)
- Replace any broken or missing links
- Ensuring you have a viable interlinking structure
- Preventing your website from being slow and having a slow page load time
- Disallowing spammy comments
- Not associating yourself with suspicious sites or ones with a low Domain Authority
- Making sure your website is mobile friendly and scales properly
- Ensuring your site has an SSL layer installed
Generating backlinks is a wonderful way to improve your Domain Authority and, in turn, rank higher in Google’s search engine results page. However, there are risks to this process, so you must be aware of several rules to adhere to in order to secure good quality, spam-free backlinks.
The three main things to take into account before taking on your backlinking venture are:
- Make sure the sites you are acquiring backlinks from have a good Domain Authority and low spam score. If you do not do this, their site will reflect badly on yours.
- Do not overdo it on the backlinks. Too much looks like spam to Google. This should be avoided!
- Do not attempt to buy or sell links. Google is smart and will notice this. This kind of behaviour can result in being banned from the SERPs altogether.
Now you know what to avoid, how can you actually generate these high-quality and useful backlinks?
- Sign up to high Domain Authority directories. When signing up to an online directory you can put a link to your website. Make sure that the directories are specific to your sector/ location and are not irrelevant. This also acts as good promotion for your business.
- Create guest articles to be shared on other people’s websites. This will not only seal you a backlink but will get you in front of new readers and win more exposure.
- Utilise your competitors by spying on their backlinks and gaining ideas on who to target.
- Contact journalists or influential bloggers in an attempt to get your work shared by them, including a link to your article or website.
To learn more about getting your website to the top of Google take a look at our selection of helpful blogs. To discover the digital marketing services we offer call 01704 898951 or get in touch for a free website audit.