SEO, or Search Engine Optimisation, is a hugely important aspect of marketing today. Every business that has an online presence should be taking complete advantage of SEO marketing. However, it must not be taken lightly. It is imperative that SEO marketing is carried out properly and to a high standard. In this article, KW Digital answers the question ‘what is Search Engine Optimisation?’ and explains how SEO can help your business thrive.
WHAT IS SEARCH ENGINE OPTIMISATION?
The objective of SEO is to rank as high as you can in Google’s search engine. Google is the ruling body over all that is digitally marketed. It sets the boundaries and you adhere to them. Your objective is to impress Google crawl bots with your content and website optimisation to then rank highly in the Google search engine. The reason for this is that the majority of search engine users click on the top five suggestions in the results pages. And, let’s be honest, not many people out there use any other search engine than Google nowadays.
So, what actually is Search Engine Optimisation? Put simply, it is a set of rules that a website/blog must adhere to in order to increase visibly on search engine results pages. In addition, SEO marketing is a great way to increase a website’s quality, making it more user-friendly, faster and easier to navigate. However, there are a multitude of factors that must be taken into account to achieve this.
“Your competitors WILL be implementing SEO marketing. Don’t let them out manoeuvre you by capturing online traffic that could be going to your business.” – Saffi Barham
A solid SEO strategy must be put in place considering not only keywords but an array of other important factors. For example, how search engines actually work, which search engines are being used by your target audience (most probably Google) and what your target audience is searching for. The objective is to improve the relevance of your website, so that it is indexed and positioned well by the search engines.
Furthermore, SEO marketing revolves around producing well optimised and relevant content. Search engines not only take the quality of content into account when ranking but also the structure of the website.
There is a lot to take into account when pursuing ‘best practice’ Search Engine Optimisation techniques. But why go to all this trouble? How can SEO actually impact your business?
HOW SEO CAN IMPACT YOUR BUSINESS
SEO can help your business grow and gain tremendous amounts of visibility. Below are 5 ways SEO can positively impact your business.
- Firstly, SEO is cost-effective compared to many other forms of online marketing, such as PPC (pay per click) advertising and social media marketing. While social media is good for image, and PPC may drive more revenue, organic SEO is the solid base of your business’ online presence.
- Seventy percent of all click-through traffic in Google’s search results go to the number 1 position on the page (2011 SlingShot SEO study – Google and Bing study) This means that if you aren’t up there, you won’t be seen by 70% of the population. Without organic SEO in place, people will have a tough time discovering you and instead will be pointed in the direction of your competitors.
- The amount of traffic to mobile devices is set to overtake that to traditional desktop devices. This means that a rise in local search optimisation is imminent, leading the way for a whole new world of SEO techniques. This leaves room for businesses to swoop in and gain even more visibility, especially local establishments.
- With every update to its search algorithm, Google’s search engine alters the way it analyses websites. Over the last few years, things that were considered unimportant have become imperative in relation to impacting rankings. An example of this is social icons. Not manufacturing a healthy content profile can be potentially damaging to your business, because Google gauges it as an important factor when analysing your website.
- Your competitors WILL be implementing SEO marketing. No matter what the industry, your competitors will be doing all they can to succeed. Don’t let them out manoeuvre you by capturing online traffic that could be going to your business. Online marketing is unavoidable in the information age and must be utilised.
So, in the words of Joshua Guerra, CEO of marketing firm BIZCOR “As long as you are focusing on optimal user experience while performing methodical SEO strategies, you will be rewarded with higher positioning and organic traffic.” Therefore, getting you more online views and inevitably more business. Investing in SEO marketing is extremely important for all businesses and acts as one of the most important components of any company’s branding efforts and online presence.
For more information on SEO marketing, or to find out what digital marketing packages we can offer your business, give us a call on 01704 898951 or visit our website.